Why FIFA Cancelled Male U-20, U-17 2021 World Cup Tournaments
654 total views, 3 views today
By Amaechi Agbo
On Thursday, December 2020, FIFA announced the cancellation of the 2021 U-20 and U-15 World Cups due to resurgent of COVID-19 pandemic. The cancellation of the two tournaments means that focus will be on 2023 edition.
In a release Thursday, the world football governing body said “As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Bureau of the FIFA Council has decided to cancel the 2021 editions of the men’s FIFA U-20 World Cu and FIFA U-17 World Cup, and to appoint Indonesia and Peru respectively, who were due to host the tournaments in 2021, as the hosts of the 2023 editions,” FIFA said in a statement.
“The COVID-19 pandemic continues to present challenges for the hosting of international sporting events and to have a restrictive effect on international travel. FIFA has therefore regularly consulted the relevant stakeholders, including the host member associations as well as the confederations involved in both tournaments originally scheduled to take place in 2021.
“In doing so, it became clear that the global situation has failed to normalise to a sufficient level to address the challenges associated with hosting both tournaments, including the feasibility of the relevant qualification pathways.
“FIFA would like to express its gratitude to the host member associations, as well as the authorities in Indonesia and Peru, for their commitment and the tournament preparations made so far. FIFA looks forward to continuing to work closely together with the host countries to organise successful tournaments,” the release concluded.