Defamation: Human Rights Radio Apologises To Minister Of Sports

Defamation: Human Rights Radio Apologises To Minister Of Sports

By Our Correspondent

Human Rights Radio, Abuja, has apologized to the Minister of Youth and Sports, Sunday Dare following its allegation that the Minister collected bribe from Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Bestchoicesports.com.ng can report.

The radio station through its programme, Beeekete Family, had alleged that the Minister collected N200 million from NFF on assumption of office.

But reacting to the libelous comment, the Minister Thursday through his lawyers asked the radio to retract the said comment and apologise to the Minister of face N10 billion damages claim in law court.

However, on Friday, presenter of the programme, Ordinary Ahmed Isah apologised to Mr Dare

Ordinary Ahmed Isah, the presenter of Brekete Show on 101.1 Human Right Radio in Abuja, has tendered an apology over his defamation of the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Sunday Dare following the minister’s decision to sue the radio station and the presenter.

In a broadcast monitored in Abuja on Friday, Ordinary Ahmed Musa also retracted his claim that successive Ministers of the ministry are paid N200 million by the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF).

In reference to his previous broadcasts in which he claimed the Minister has not commented on the NFF issue being discussed on the programme because he was compromised, Isah, who presents his show in a smattering of Pidgin, English and a sprinkling of other languages, said during the live broadcast that, “If that one offend you I withdraw the statement.”

The presenter further said “Honourable Minister Sunday Dare, I tender my unreserved apology on air to you, based on the request of your lawyer.”

Mr. Dare had through Festus Keyamo’s Chambers written Human Right Radio and Ordinary Ahmed Musa to desist from broadcasting falsehood about him, retract the misleading claims previously made, apologize on the Brekete programme, and to publish the retraction with apology in two national newspapers or face a N10 billion libel suit.

The suit however continues to dangle over the presenter and his radio station as the retraction with apology is yet to be published in two newspapers with national coverage as demanded.

Meanwhile, sources have confirmed that guests on the radio programme who contributed to making the spurious claim are also in line to be slammed with libel suits and criminal defamation. Notable among them is NFF’s former head of protocol, Tunde Aderibigbe and Harrison Jalla.

One of the sources disclosed that “Lawyers have been briefed to demand that these guests on Brekete radio show step forward with verifiable proof that N200 million was given to the Minister as they claimed or insinuated failing which they will be sued for their net worth.”

About Best Choice Sports

Leave a reply translated

Translate »